Pages

Saturday, September 7, 2013

Delicious Oatmeal Cottage Cheese Pancakes

If you are not a cottage cheese fan, don't stick your nose up at the name of the recipe just yet. First, let me tell you something. I can't stand cottage cheese. I actually only bought cottage cheese because I'm on a mission to eat healthy and lose weight and cottage cheese is an excellent low fat high protein food.
As I pondered in the kitchen on what I could do to spice up this cottage cheese to my liking, I saw a recipe on the side for oatmeal pancakes and I decided to give it a try. 

Oatmeal Cottage Cheese Pancakes 


These are the ingredients that you will need, along with the measurements of each. 

1 cup rolled oats (not instant oats)
1 cup cottage cheese
1/4 cup egg whites (I use the carton but the whites from two eggs will work)
1 small banana (you can also use half of an apple instead) 
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla
1 teaspoon of cinnamon (more or less depending on how much you like it) 
1/4 cup of milk (I use coconut milk or almond milk and I actually use about 3/4 a cup because I like my pancakes a little thinner) 
And lastly I added my own touch, some ground flax meal. For this recipe you could add about 4 tablespoons. Ground glax is a great source of omega 3's. 

Combine all ingredients in the blender and blend until you have a smooth consistency. 


As you can see, if you use ground flax it will be a little seedy, but it doesn't change the consistency of the pancake (don't worry, they won't be crunchy)

I use a greased electric skillet on 325 degrees to cook these pancakes but you can also use a frying pan on medium heat. These pancakes do take a little longer than regular pancakes to cook but they are well worth the wait. About 4-5 minutes on each side. 



You will notice that the inside is kind of gooey. This does not mean that they are undercooked. With the banana and cottage cheese and oats, it makes the consistency a little mushy compared to regular pancakes. 

Once they are cooked I like to top them with some Greek yogurt. 


This is my yogurt of choice. Chobani vanilla Greek yogurt.  You can also choose to top with butter and syrup instead if you are not a yogurt fan. If you choose to top with Greek yogurt, mixed berries on top make this pancake absolutely Devine. 


I hope you all have enjoyed reading this recipe and be sure to give it a try! You will love it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment